[xsl] Seeking an explanation

Subject: [xsl] Seeking an explanation
From: "Carl Radley" <Carl.Radley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:26:25 -0000
Hello all,

I've figured out my problem, I just don't understand why and would appreciate
an explanation please.
I'm using XSLT v1

My XML (cut down but <det> may or may not be in the same parent node)
<det>
	<det_rep_group>10</det_rep_group>
	<det_format>test</det_format>
<det>
<det>
	<det_rep_group>10</det_rep_group>
	<det_format>live</det_format>
<det>
<det>
	<det_rep_group>20</det_rep_group>
	<det_format>live</det_format>
<det>

I wanted to get all <det> nodes, where <det_format> did not equal "test" and
then group them based on <det_rep_group>
My problem was Group 10 was being excluded when I expected it to be a valid
selection.

What I was doing:
<xsl:key name="g" match ="det/det_rep_group" use="."/>
.
.
<xsl:variable name="g"
select="//det[det_format!='test']/det_rep_group[generate-id()=generate-id(key
('g',.))]" />
<xsl:for-each select=$g">
.
.
</xsl:for-each>

What I am now doing:
<xsl:key name="g" match ="det[det_format!='test']/det_rep_group" use="."/>
.
.
<xsl:variable name="g"
select="//det/det_rep_group[generate-id()=generate-id(key('g',.))]" />

I understand the difference between det[not(det_format='test')] and
det[det_format!='test'], yet can't see the wood for the trees on this issue.
Thanks in advance for an explanation.

Carl Radley

This e-mail (which includes any files attached to it) is not
contractually binding on its own, it is intended solely for
the named recipient and may contain CONFIDENTIAL, legally
privileged or trade secret information protected by law.
If you have received this message in error please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephoning +44(0)2476421213.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
distribute, reproduce, retransmit, retain or rely on any
information contained in this e-mail. Please note that Severn
Trent Laboratories Limited reserve the right to monitor email
communications in accordance with applicable law and regulations.

To the extent permitted by law, neither Severn Trent Laboratories
Limited or any of its subsidiaries, nor any employee, director
or officer thereof, accepts any liability whatsoever in relation
to this e-mail including liability arising from any external breach
of security or confidentiality or for virus infection or for statements
made by the sender as these are not necessarily made on behalf of
Severn Trent Laboratories Limited.

Severn Trent Laboratories Limited is a limited company registered in
England and Wales under registered number 2148934 with its registered
office at 2297 Coventry Road, Birmingham B26 3PU.