Re: [xsl] Template matching preceding-sibling.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Template matching preceding-sibling.
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:37:20 -0500
Ilya,

At 10:50 PM 11/20/2007, you wrote:
Having read and followed the basic list posting guidelines I thought that I was doing it all right - now I see how wrong I was.

Actually you were doing pretty well. If you were doing it all wrong, I wouldn't have bothered to speak up. (That happens a lot.)

Now, the only thing I have to say abouth your example is: shouldn't Rec[2] match also, since it HAS preceding sibling with activity value different to its own, i.e. Rec[1] (since swimming != biking)?

Arg! See, this only goes to show how fallible wetware really is.

Of course you're correct (as is your software).

I hope, I made the difference now obvious - I got 1 string "Ello xslers" and the post author got 2 of them, for the same input processed with one and the same template. That is exactly the reason why I made the request to the list.

Thanks for reminding me of the whole sordid history.

Just as we shouldn't trust our wetware processors or even those of the experts, but instead read carefully between the lines as well as in them, I'd say this suggests we shouldn't trust what even the most well-intentioned newbies say, until we've verified it.

That is, we should never trust anything but our own eyes, and not even them.

Really, given all this it is quite amazing that we make any progress at all.

Now it's obvious that the XPath and the whole template works fine and my processor is giving correct result, I think this case can be closed now. To me, the only arguable question is how the original post's author could manage to have 2 strings :).

Yes. :-)

As I said, I believe he just posted untested code sample which he deduced from his more general and complicated input and output, where actualy the problem did exist.

That sounds entirely plausible to me.

And since we can't know anything about reality, our theories will have to do.

PS: If this time I fail once more to make my point clear then I just don't know how to express it in other way:)
I understand, that this is my lack of English and explanation ability and by no mean not lack of the members' comprehension ability.

We native speakers have a horrible time with English too. Indeed, I am astonished and envious of others' ability to communicate in this rich and complicated dog's banquet of a language, considering how well I (don't) do in theirs.

Cheers,
Wendell