[xsl] error:XSLT Stylesheet (possibly) contains a recursion.

Subject: [xsl] error:XSLT Stylesheet (possibly) contains a recursion.
From: Vaduvoiu Tiberiu <vaduvoiutibi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 06:29:58 -0800 (PST)
Hi, i'm trying to do the following thing: I need to display a string until the last occurance of the space character.So if I would have "this is a news" i would need to display "this is a". I am using xslt1.0 and I tried doing the following:

<xsl:template name="extract">
<xsl:param name="text"/>
<xsl:variable name="length" select="string-length($text)"/>
<xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="substring($text,$length-1,$length)=' ' ">
        <xsl:value-of select="substring($text,1,$length-1)"/>
    </xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
    <xsl:call-template name="extract">
        <xsl:with-param name="text" select="substring($text,1,$length-1)"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

basically I check if the last char of the string is space, display the text minus last char, otherwise, test again with text minus the last char. I get the error
Error during XSLT transformation: XSLT Stylesheet (possibly) contains a recursion. I don't see why it would be interpreted as a infinit loop since the text keeps getting smaller.

Be a better pen pal.