RE: [xsl] Trouble getting the self node attributes within for-each loop

Subject: RE: [xsl] Trouble getting the self node attributes within for-each loop
From: "Chaudhary, Harsh" <HCHAUDHA@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:57:47 -0600
<territory>
    <zipcode @zip="11111" @index="984" @population="4765">
        <name>Something</name>
    </zipcode>
    <zipcode @zip="22222" @index="74" @population="437">
        <name>Something</name>
    </zipcode>
    <zipcode @zip="33333" @index="643" @population="432876">
        <name>Something</name>
    </zipcode>
    <zipcode @zip="33333" @index="643" @population="4978">
        <name>Something</name>
    </zipcode>
</territory>

I am using XSL 1.0

Taking this XML, I need to group the element based on ZipCode and sort
based on zip code also. Then select the element with the highest index
within a group, and in case 2 or more elements have the same, select the
one with the highest population out of the elements with the highest

I have a variable called nodesWithMaxIndex which is supposed to store
all the elements belonging to a zip code which have the maximum index.

My code looked like:

<xsl:variable name="nodesWithMaxIndex" select="selectTheNodes">
	<xsl:for-each <elements with max index>
		<temp>
			<xsl:value-of <whichever node matches>

This variable will then be passed to create another variable which was
name nodeWithMaxPopOutOfNodesWithMaxIndex. But, this variable had just
the element values and not the node itself. So, in order to get the
nodes to be able to pass to generate the second variable, instead of
<xsl:value-of>, I did <xsl:copy-of> which game me a copy of the
appropriate node along with attributes and child elements.

I haven't tried out your solution yet. But then again, I am not using
XSL 2.0. But I will try it out just for fun and see how XSL 2.0 makes my
life easier.

Thanks,
HC.