Re: [xsl] select first word

Subject: Re: [xsl] select first word
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:11:36 +0100
Florent Georges wrote:
Abel Braaksma wrote:

<xsl:value-of select="
translate(
substring-before(
substring-before(.,' '), ', '),
$from, $to)" />

If I am right (if I remember correctly) the input doesn't always have space or comma. So I would use the following instead (or the result could be empty):

translate(replace(., '([^, ]+).*', '$1'), $from, $to)

Thanks for pointing that out.
Yes, you are right about the input. But the OP has, I believe (from observation), only XSLT 1.0 and replace() is introduced as per XSLT 2.0.

The substring-before with the comma can be removed: if there's a comma it is followed by a space. Just add the comma to the translate function at the end, then it will be removed.

For the rest I'd probably choose something like this:

<!-- include comma, which is not matched, thus it will be deleted -->
<xsl:variable name="from" select="'abcdehijklmnorstuvyz{|HIJKA@,'" />
<xsl:variable name="to" select="'aaaaaeeeeiiiioooooEEEEAA'" />

<!-- with space -->
<xsl:template match="le[contains(., ' ')]">
<xsl:value-of select="translate(substring-before(., ' '), $from, $to)" />
</xsl:template>

<!-- without space -->
<xsl:template match="le">
   <xsl:value-of select="translate(., $from, $to)" />
</xsl:template>

The second one is the more generic one and will be called by the processor if there's no space in the content of the <le> element.

HTH,

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma