Re: [xsl] XSLTPROC performance

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLTPROC performance
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:24:15 +0100
Colin Paul Adams wrote:

Andrew> I don't think it needs to be amortised... If you start the Andrew> timing at the correct point and ignore the first few runs Andrew> then I'd say you can safely forget about JVM startup and Andrew> warm-up for the remaining runs.

Then you've ignored it completely, so you don't get a fair comparison.

I think what Colin tries to get at is that on most "real world" systems, you'll have to start the JVM. Depending on the type of system you'll have to start it once (a servlet which stays in memory) or you have to start it each time again (a workflow management system running every now and then a couple of XSLT).

It's negligible in the case of the servlet, as it is part of the overall startup time. But it is not negligible if your system will have to deal with this startup time. In which case I agree with Colin that you shouldn't ignore it.

What's fair or not depends on the context. Some people don't like the startup time of Diesel because they only do groceries around the corner with it, other people find it negligible, because they drive daily from Copenhagen to Barcelona and back (ignoring the speed limits).

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma