Re: [xsl] saxon:try()

Subject: Re: [xsl] saxon:try()
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 07:32:04 +0000

    Florent> Colin Paul Adams wrote:

    >> First, what do you expect to happen? I think you are saying
    >> that the transformation should fail, even though the processor
    >> evaluates the variable during the execution of the
    >> ex:error-safe.

    Florent>   Yes.

    >> I would find that extremely confusing.

    Florent>   Why?  That's the only predictable way, isn't it?

It confuses me because now I don't know which handler will be invoked
for a particular error.

E.g. If within an ex:try block, I call unparsed-text
('file://non-existent-file'), and also reference a global variable,
which makes the same bad call to ('file://non-existent-file') within
it's own ex:try block, which handler gets invoked?

Worse, suppose the call in the global variable doesn't have a try
block? Now do I catch the error or do I creash? I can only predict
this if I know the processor internals (i.e. when the variable
actually gets evaluated). Worse still, is that this may differ even
for a particular processor, and even the author of the processor may
not be able to  predict it (think parallel processing).
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire