Re: [xsl] Is there any way to identify the date format ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is there any way to identify the date format ?
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:44:44 +0100
Hi Javashree,

If your input is as you say it is, and if the RFC822 date always has a timezone with it, you can determine which kind of date it is by simply testing its length.

The longest date in your second format would be "September 30, 2007", which has a length of 18. Any pubDate value that is longer is a RFC822 date.

Note that date formatting and string manipulation is generally much easier in XSLT 2.0 than in XSLT 1.0

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

jayashree venkatesh wrote:
Hello,
I am a newbie to XSL . I have 2 XML feeds which have a pubdate
tag having different date formats . One uses the standard RFC 822 format and
the other non RFC 822 format.

1 st feed -----------------
<pubDate>Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:24:04 -0600</pubDate> (RFC 822)

2 nd feed --------------------
<pubDate>March 7, 2007</pubDate>

want to convert both these date formats to ISO 8601 format.The point is
i want to do this in a single XSL file . I know there are substring()
and concat() functions which can help me achieve this. Now my question
is, how can I identify which format the date is ( 1st format or 2 nd )
in the first place ? If i can identify which format the date is in, I
can covert them to ISO 8601 format.

Thanks in
 advance,
Jayashree Venkatesh