Re: [xsl] Santa has come early

Subject: Re: [xsl] Santa has come early
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:07:45 +0100
Hi Colin,

I've so far failed to answer the follow-up questions you had around Christmas. Here's a belated answer:

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    Abel> I found the fast startup time of your Gestalt
    Abel> processor remarkable. Your PE executable (yes, I use

What's PE stand for?

PE is short for Portable Executable, where "portable" means portable across windows 32 and 64 bit versions. It is totally different from the old 16 bit executables, both old .exe and .com formats. Meaning: a windows exe-file has a different signature than dos/windows3.1 exe files. PE is derived from the Unix COFF format (as much of the Windows env. is not original, but borrowed).

Abel> Yet on larger input it failed (but in all honesty, that

Failed?

this discussion was originally about timings. With "failed" i didn't mean "error", but "failed to give a high performance", or: "performance dropped significantly on high inputs", which you explained:

In general, Gestalt is very slow on large XML source documents.
I doubt if this will improve in less than a year.

Can you raise bugs on the soirceforge tracker please?

Yes, I can. In fact, I am doing that right now ;)

    Abel>  3. I didn't find a way to run a stylesheet with no input
    Abel> document, but with an initial template. Is this possible in
    Abel> a way?

Yes.
--template=initial will run the template named initial.

Thanks. I overlooked that, I see now that it is in the documentation when you run --help.

    Abel>  4. The version number output with --version is "3.7",
    Abel> though the software is shipped as "1.0". Which should it be?

Both.
3.7 is the version number of the Gobo project, of which the Gobo
Eiffel XSLT library is an integral part (I think it was at version 3.2
when i started the development).
1.0 is the version number of the Gestalt command-line interpreter,
which is a front-end for the library + the addition of network
protocols (which lie outside the scope of Gobo).

I know it's confusing, but I don't have a satisfactory solution yet
(--version returns the same string as system-property ('xsl:version')).

I believe you meant "xsl:product-version". As using "xsl:version" will give (correctly) "2.0", which is and should be the version of XSLT supported by the processor.

    Abel> Should I post any findings here or do you rather have
    Abel> them on the Gestalt list?

On the Gestalt users list please.

Ok, I will.

Cheers,