Re: [xsl] Problem while calling Web service through XSL code

Subject: Re: [xsl] Problem while calling Web service through XSL code
From: Florent Georges <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:51:33 +0100 (CET)
Colin Adams wrote:

> On 14/01/2008, Andrew Welch wrote:

  Hi

>>http://www.andrewjwelch.com/code/xslt/soap/xslt-soap-extension.html

> It is interesting.

> The last bit on making several calls could be problematic if the
> evaluation order of Saxon were to change in the future to be less
> predictable (for instance, with parallel processing).

  The point is IMHO to not do something not guaranteed by the XSLT
processing model.  For instance calling only stateless web services (or
at least web services whose the state will not interfere).  Or stateful
services but with guarantee from the XSLT processing model:

    <xsl:variable name="id" select="
        soap:request($arg1, 'http://to.be/startProcess')/proc-id"/>

    <xsl:variable name="arg2">
       <soapenv:Envelope>
          <xsl:value-of select="$id"/>
       <soapenv:Envelope>
    </xsl:variable>

    <xsl:sequence select="
        soap:request($arg2, 'http://to.be/continueProcess')"/>

  I think that this could be useful to get few data within a single
transform (several transforms being orchestrated by time-aware
languages).  My guess that XProc will be maybe more appropriated for
the general case.

  Regards,

--drkm