Re: [xsl] combining multiple documents

Subject: Re: [xsl] combining multiple documents
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:08:49 -0500
Steven,

At 10:52 AM 1/27/2008, you wrote:
I have read the spec but I am obviously not as familiar with it as
those that specified it. I admit, I am more comfortable with certain
other well-known terminology.

If people were computers, XSLT could have used an entirely different set of terms, and avoided these issues.

For better or worse, however, we're not; we find alpha-renaming to be difficult. We'd rather reuse the words we know while attaching modified meanings to them. This facilitates analogical reasoning, which on balance is worth it for us, as it's extremely efficient (except when it's not).

I do - at least I think I do - understand the implementation, I am
just expressing a discomfort with the counter intuitive nature of the
third parameter in key.

Indeed. But it's only counter-intuitive if you've got other expectations. If XSLT were your first language, your intuition wouldn't be so predisposed. Instead there'd be the problem of learning completely from scratch.

So -- that's why we have XSL-List.

Cheers,
Wendell