Re: [xsl] CSV to XML transformation XSLT to include special characters?

Subject: Re: [xsl] CSV to XML transformation XSLT to include special characters?
From: Marney Cotterill <marney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:11:29 +1100
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the alternative, but for now I want to stick with XSLT as I need
to run a second transform on the XML produced from the CSV transform to
create a specially formatted XML file that I can import into a module on a
clients dynamic website.

I have step-by-step instructions on how to do the second bit, so as I am
brand new to the world of programming (no Perl knowledge unfortunatley) I
will stick with what I have.

Thanks again,
Marney

On 4/4/08 1:09 AM, "Michael Ludwig" <mlu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marney Cotterill schrieb:
>> Hi Listers,
>>
>> I have modified an XSLT orgignally developed by Andrew Welch to
>> transform a CSV to an XML for importing data into a dynamic website. I
>> am brand new to XSL and XSLT and have hit a small snag with the
>> transform.
>
> Maybe XSL is not the best tool for this job. I'd use a general-purpose
> programming language like Perl to process CSV to generate XML. Perl has
> modules designed to deal with practically everything, including CSV. I
> think this would be much easier, while at the same time taking the
> discussion off-topic.
>
> Well, you could then process the resulting XML in XSL to tailor it to
> your needs, and that would bring the discussion back on topic. The
> result would look something like this:
>
> <File>
>    <Row>
>      <Col>30358201</Col>
>      <Col>Das VIERTE</Col>
>      <Col>2008-04-06</Col>
>    </Row>
>    <Row>
>      <Col>30376055</Col>
>      <Col>n-tv</Col>
>      <Col>2008-04-05</Col>
>    </Row>
>    <Row>
>      <Col>30332822</Col>
>      <Col>Premiere Krimi</Col>
>      <Col>2008-04-05</Col>
>    </Row>
> </File>
>
> This could then easily be processed using XSL.
>
> If you can handle Perl, I can mail you a script to do the job.
>
>> I've done some testing and I think it comes down to the inclusion of
>> special characters in my CSV, which essentially breaks the transform,
>> giving a blank result - it does not even display the error messege.
>
> This problem would be dealt with - unless your CSV data is invalid.
>
> Michael

Marney Cotterill
graphic designer

cracker//brandware