Re: [xsl] Non-English languages in XSLT, XML Schema grammars

Subject: Re: [xsl] Non-English languages in XSLT, XML Schema grammars
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:41:27 +0100

    Ramkumar> Gurus, I had a question. Why is it that languages like
    Ramkumar> XML Schema, XSLT etc allow only English in the element
    Ramkumar> and attribute names ?  I am not referring to the
    Ramkumar> content, but the actual elements and attributes defined
    Ramkumar> by the grammar.  i.e.  <schema>, <template>,
    Ramkumar> <call-template>, <for-each>, <element>, <attribute>
    Ramkumar> etc....  Does it make any sense at all to allow these
    Ramkumar> grammars itself to support writing schemas/xslts etc in
    Ramkumar> local languages.

In XSLT this can be done via extension instructions and user data
elements for a given implementation.

I have long (about 20 years) thought of doing this for various
languages. Recently I enquired about this for Eiffel in Chinese. The
reaction I got was that the language keywords themselves didn't
matter. It is the documentation that counts.

Accordingly, for XSLT 2.0, I am trying to push translations of the
recommendations. With no success so far.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire