Re: [xsl] glossary sorting/indexing question

Subject: Re: [xsl] glossary sorting/indexing question
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:32:26 +0100
> You're right, I must have run the 1.0 stylesheet through Saxon before I
> added the translate() to the key definition

saxon6 would complain about the variables (because it's an xslt 1
engine) but saxon9 won't even when the stylesheet says version="1.0" as
backward compatibility mode makes some things act like xslt1 but does
not disable new xslt 2 features.

> Can I <xsl:import> existing version 1.0 stylesheets which do other useful
> things into a 2.0 stylesheet

Yes, but again they run in xslt2's backwward compatibility mode,
ratherthan native xslt2 (not that this usually makes any difference if
it was legal xslt 1 it will almost always do the same thing in BC mode)

> Currently I use xsltproc for a large number of
> small transforms because the performance edge over a 2.0 processor adds up
> to a significant time saving in the full build,

when timing saxon you might (or might not) want to factor out the time
to start the java VM, if you are running it from the command line that
can be a considerable portion of the total time, especially if you are
doing lots of smallish transformations. Using an API that keeps java
running can speed things up a lot. When I was running the xquery test
suite through xslt a couple of years back, switching to a system that
just started java once instead of once per transform changed the total
time from 3 hours to 5 minutes if I recall correctly....

David