Re: [xsl] Output sorted XHTML table for a subset of elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Output sorted XHTML table for a subset of elements
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:15:57 -0400
At 06:16 PM 5/25/2008, it was written:
                     <xsl:if test="position() mod 5 = 0">
                        <xsl:text disable-output-escaping =
"yes">&#x0D;&#x0A;&lt;/tr&gt;&#x0D;&#x0A;</xsl:text>
                        <xsl:text disable-output-escaping =
"yes">&lt;tr&gt;&#x0D;&#x0A;</xsl:text>
                     </xsl:if>

The </tr><tr> bit is rather ugly, but I find the test="position() mod
5 = 0" rather elegant.

Please note that the use of disable-output-escaping introduces a hidden dependency; this won't work unless the results are serialized directly by a processor that implements d-o-e. This will exclude using this stylesheet in non-terminal positions in pipelines, in some browsers, etc., and hampers portability.

Many would say that "inelegant" is a kind way of describing this, since hidden implicit dependencies are a good way to set traps for yourself. (I try to be agnostic on the issue, but it's only fair to warn.)

Cheers,
Wendell