Re: [xsl] the future of xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] the future of xslt
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:21:21 -0700
I am not sure these statistics are useful at all.

I have my own indicators. One is that this mailing list became visibly
less interesting the moment Jeni Tennison ceased her active
participation.

Another is the reader interest in blogs -- for example my blog has
more than 240 000 visits for a less than 2 years period. Probably
other people will share the visits for their blogs?

Another useful indicator would be how sought after are the books by
such XSLT masters as Dr. Kay, Jeni Tennison, G. Ken Holman, Norm
Walsh, Sal Mangano,... etc.

Yet another indicator is the statement of Phill Wadler at the 2002
Oxford Summer School of Functional Programming that "XSLT is the most
popular functional programming language".

I also know a number of significant Web and content publishing
applications used on a daily basis and providing contents to millions
of viewers, that are very fundamentally XSLT-based. Probably the
people engaged with these are happy enough (do not have significant
problems or are not at all aware of the XSLT nature of the services
they are consuming) so that they do not generate the noise that would
put XSLT ahead in the cited statistics.

Let's try to formulate and answer another question:

Is/are there other, better than XSLT, tree-processing languages?

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev