[xsl] Re: OOXML

Subject: [xsl] Re: OOXML
From: "John Cavalieri" <john.cavalieri@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:21:52 -0500
Colin,

Is it really OO that people want for an alternative to functional?

The two main highlights of OO languages are encapsulation and inheritance:
-XSLT already has a nice inheritance model i.e. imports and template precedence.
-XSLT stylesheets can be thought of classes, with data (variables,
parameters) and functions as methods.

It seems to me, with XSLT, people struggle with immutable variables
and allowing the XSLT processor to do the tree walking and template
calling.  Folks miss the C-like procedural languge, not OO, when
starting XSLT.

And one can code in a procedural fashion using call-template and
apply-template selects, modes, etc.

Also, can we consider passing empty string to the document function a
form of reflection?

I guess what I'm wondering is what from OO could helpful?  Message
passing? Class instantiation with public members and methods?

-John