Re: [xsl] Cocoon

Subject: Re: [xsl] Cocoon
From: Kamal Bhatt <kbhatt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:03:43 +1000
Andrew Welch wrote:
Is anyone using or has used Cocoon for a large project and can comment
on its pros and cons? How does it compare with something like XProc?
We use Cocoon.

We currently use Cocoon 2.1 and I have worked with Cocoon 2.2 in my spare time.

In both cases, you will find the learning curve for cocoon quite large early on, but once you get your head matches and pipelines it is actually quite easy.

From what I remember of XProc, it is similar, in the sense you can create pipelines, but if I remember correctly, the definition of a generator is limited. In Cocoon you can generate XML using any source (database, XML files, etc) and you have far more transformations options available to you.

The biggest con with Cocoon is managing the beast. Cocoon 2.2 does configuration/application management better, but it has fewer (stable) features.

I can give you a better assessment if you give me more info on XProc and what you are trying to do.

thanks

--
Kamal Bhatt