RE: [xsl] Content negotiation in XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Content negotiation in XSLT
From: "Rushforth, Peter" <prushfor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:13:04 -0400
Florent,

>   This extension is aimed to provide HTTP features.  And HTTP
> is not restricted to XML, it sends and receives text.

Good point, among other non-text formats.

I think I see you could also use the extension to support REST-style
PUT, DELETE etc., by changing the @method="PUT, POST, GET etc" ?

>   But that's a good point, because while serializing in XSLT
> is easy, parsing requires much an extension.  So I guess it
> could be interesting to provide an alternative extension
> function that handles the parsing (at least).

Of course, this is a very good reason to use saxon:parse, and it
would of course allow custom parsers to be invoked if a (custom)
URIReslover
detected the content type.  Good one.  Maybe a new set of EXSLT
functions specific to XSLT 2 could begin with yours plus a set
from Saxon (like parse, serialize)?

Not sure when this starts to go off-topic, but certain that Tommie
will let us know ;).

>   I have a new version to upload (to deal with proxies with
> authentication), and I want to write new, simpler examples.
> Then I would like to improve the interface, and write a
> stylesheet that build upon the HTTP extension to provide SOAP
> functions.

I will definitely look for that, perhaps you could let us know?

Cheers,
Peter