Re: [xsl] Dynamic web pages using Saxon and Linux (Apache)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Dynamic web pages using Saxon and Linux (Apache)
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:39:09 +0100
2008/8/28 Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm sorry, but I have no idea why several replies to this message have
> mentioned eXist. I'm sure eXist is a fine product, but it is primarily an
> XML database, and there is nothing in this requirements statement to suggest
> that an XML database is needed.

eXist comes bundled and ready to go with Tomcat and Cocoon... so if
you have some XML and a grasp of XQuery it doesn't take much effort to
get a website up and running quickly, all for free.  It's impressive
and well worth a look.

> Clearly the amount you invest in infrastructure and middleware technologies
> (even if they are free, there's a cost in learning about them) depends on
> the complexity of your application, which is something you have given us few
> clues about. From your description it looks fairly simple, so my recommended
> solution would be to install Tomcat as a servlet engine, and then implement
> the transformations (that is, the code that invokes XSLT) as a Java servlet.

I think that may the old school way :)  I guess it's a bit like
learning ajax versus using one of the frameworks...

> If things get more complex, for example pipelines of transformations, use of
> a database, and use of XForms, then you might want to look at Orbeon.

Orbeon uses eXist as the back end doesn't it?  And pipelining is what
Cocoon is all about (which comes with eXist), so again eXist was a
reasonable suggestion.

Having said all that, I think they might be dropping Cocoon from eXist
(it is a lot to learn), and Orbeon might not be needed, so maybe they
should delve into jaxp   :)

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com