Re: [xsl] Result tree fragment to string?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Result tree fragment to string?
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:19:05 +0200
Andrew Welch wrote:
A result tree fragment is not a string but it is also not a node set.

True, but I think that's just a technicality... It's an artificial restriction in XSLT 1.0 that was well intentioned but the decision was quickly proved wrong. It could be considered the biggest mistake in 1.0, especially because it was so easy to remove the restriction.

I agree it can be considered a mistake but the restriction is there in XSLT 1.0 processors and my post just tried to explain why the approach Andrew Houghton posted does not work with XSLT 1.0 processors.

then for instance Saxon 6.5 will complain "Error at xsl:apply-templates on
line 13 [...]. Cannot process a result tree fragment as a node-set under
XSLT 1.0".

I think that's a "feature" of 6.5... I'm pretty sure earlier versions never complained.

Are you saying earlier versions of Saxon 6 silently converted a result tree fragment to a node-set? That would have been a bug.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/