Re: [xsl] XPath 2 sequence item type determination

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath 2 sequence item type determination
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:54:13 +0100
> Though, say, if one wants to stick to standards and not proprietary
> extensions, then surely the suggestion of using a series of "if instance
> of" is problematic in that it is relying on the external string
> representation of the type (via xsd schema) to guess the type of the
> (internal) XDM item?

No. Why do you say that? The item may never have been near an xsd
schema.

If you have a sequence

(1,'1',true(),'true')

then a nested test with instance of will show those types as xs:integer,
xs:string, xs:boolean and xs:string respectively.

this does not depend on any internals of the XSL processor the result is
determined by the xpath spec. (I am assuming here that xs: is bound to
the xsd schema namespace)

David