RE: [xsl] Issue processing heterogeneous DITA files

Subject: RE: [xsl] Issue processing heterogeneous DITA files
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:03:44 +0100
> The solution is a slightly kludgy use of named xsl:outputs,
> referenced by an <xsl:result-document>, as follows:

You can specify the variable serialization parameters directly on
xsl:result-document rather than having multiple xsl:output declarations if
you prefer.

> So I'm left wondering why the use of
> attribute-value templates has been restricted in this way

It's often hard to explain why a WG reaches the decision it does. This one
was debated, and the WG decided against allowing AVTs. No doubt each member
of the WG had their own reasons, these are not minuted. Personally I don't
see any problems with allowing AVTs on top-level declarations (and I think
it was allowed on some Saxon releases), but the architecture of different
processors varies and some implementations may have found it difficult or
inefficient to support this.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/