RE: [xsl] character entities

Subject: RE: [xsl] character entities
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:17:49 -0000
> I can then put: &ntilde; inside my xml, this still gets
> parsed into: q by my xsl, & then stored as: C1 in lucene, and
> displayed as: C1 in my browser.

Saying that it's displayed as C1 in your browser is a meaningful statement,
because you're describing the appearance on screen. Saying that its stored
as C1 in lucene (whatever lucene might be...) doesn't really make sense.
It's stored as a bit-pattern in lucene, and there's always the possibility
that it's stored correctly but displayed incorrectly by whatever software
you are using to look at it.

You've got two pieces of software here exchanging data, and one of them
thinks the data is in one encoding, while the other thinks it's in a
different encoding. Those two bits of software are probably (but not
necessarily) the XSLT serializer and the ZSL indexer. That's about all I can
tell you.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/