Re: [xsl] Efficently transposing tokenized data

Subject: Re: [xsl] Efficently transposing tokenized data
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:20:32 -0700
THe following solution transforms the initial xml document into a
well-structured matrix (sequence of structured rows), then the
transposition is trivial:

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"
	xmlns:my ="my:my"
	exclude-result-prefixes="my xs"

	<xsl:output omit-xml-declaration="yes" method="html"/>

	<xsl:template match="/">
	    <xsl:apply-templates/>
	</xsl:template>

	<xsl:template match="MultiLine">
	    <xsl:apply-templates select="*/@title"/>

	  <xsl:variable name="vMatrix" as="element()*"
	   select="my:makeMatrix(Line)"/>

	  <xsl:for-each select="1 to @samples">
	    <xsl:variable name="vRow" as="xs:integer" select="."/>
	     <xsl:for-each select="$vMatrix">
				  <xsl:value-of select="mdata[$vRow]"/>
	     </xsl:for-each>
	  </xsl:for-each>
	</xsl:template>

	<xsl:template match="Line/@title">
	  <th>
	    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
	  </th>
	</xsl:template>

	<xsl:function name="my:makeMatrix" as="element()*">
	  <xsl:param name="pLines" as="element()*"/>

	  <xsl:for-each select="$pLines">
	    <mrow>
	      <xsl:for-each select="tokenize(@data, ' ')">
	        <mdata>
					  <xsl:value-of select="."/>
	        </mdata>
	      </xsl:for-each>
	    </mrow>
	  </xsl:for-each>
	</xsl:function>
</xsl:stylesheet>

when the above transformation is applied against the original input
(".." replaced with "."):

<MultiLine samples="5">
	<Line title="Line 1" data="0.1 0.4 0.6 0.4 0.8" />
	<Line title="Line 2" data="0.4 0.2 0.5 1.4 3.8" />
</MultiLine>

the wanted result is produced:

      <th>Line 1</th>
      <th>Line 2</th>