Re: [xsl] no output files

Subject: Re: [xsl] no output files
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 05:25:46 -0800
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Colin Adams
<colinpauladams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/11/19 Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

>> Another way to do the same, without worrying about implementation
>> specifics is to enclose the transformation into an <xsl:variable/>
>> (which means that nothing is to be done with this variable).
>>
>> As this variable will capture the results of the transformation, no
>> output will be produced.
>
> And perhaps no transformation either, if the processor optimizes it away.

This has been discussed in the past, and perhaps more than once:

If we have any function theFunc() (an extension function, or a
function in a separately-compiled module, which I hope will be
possible in XSLT 2.1), let's say of type xs:string* then the processor
will evaluate theFunc() in an expression as the following:

<xsl:value-of select="theFunc()"/>

theFunc() will have a global variable that wraps all transformation.
theFunc() will return nothing.

So, this is one implementation-independent way of performing a
transformation and not producing any output.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev