Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.1: Nestable sequences or sequence references?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.1: Nestable sequences or sequence references?
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 19:23:28 -0800
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think there are quite a few people who recognize that there's a need for
> richer data structures in XDM, but there are different views about how
> important such features are, and about exactly what features should be
> provided to meet the requirement. (The cited bugzilla entry, you will
> notice, is marked "closed, won't fix", but that doesn't mean that all
> progress in this general area is ruled out.) Ideas include
>
> (a) nested sequences
>
> (b) references (an item can be a reference to a node or any other value)
>
> (c) tuples whose fields are known and named at compile-time
>
> (d) maps whose keys are known only at run-time
>
> (e) higher-order functions (which would enable any of the above to be
> constructed, though perhaps not with elegant syntax)

(a) and (b) are extremely needed if we want to be able to compare XSLT
with true programming languages.

As I am tired of asking for (a) and learning from all prior
experience, I absolutely don't have any illusions these will be part
even of XSLT 4.

Therefore, Isn't it high time for *EXSLT 2*?

To the list of *nested sequences* and *references* I would also add
*memoisation*.

we need something quite simple, and very easy to implement:

     type:reference   nodeRef(node)

     node   fromRef(reference)

   the @memo-function attribute as already implemented in Saxon.

We could even accept that generate-id() is our nodeRef(), so we'd need
just the last two functions.

Florent has written his Java implementation and it is a matter of days
for a C# implementation of something similar ...  :( to surface out...
By not standardizing we will very soon find ourselves with a number of
incompatible definitions of such functions and will have to face all
the resulting portability issues.

Let's be realistic and pragmatic and not wait in the next ten years
for a committee blessing. We have EXSLT and EXSLT has worked well in
the past and served real needs.

I appeal to the EXSLT community to respond and provide the definitions
of the above three features -- in the name of the ideas this movement
(I still believe) stands for.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.

--