Re: [xsl] XSLT, Web applications, and "native XML databases"

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT, Web applications, and "native XML databases"
From: ac <ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:28:41 -0500
Hi,

Let's hope that it happens soon.

How can we help?

Cheers,
ac

eXist can perform an XSL transformation through an extension function, but
you have to serialize the result to a source for the transformation. It does
not work natively on the DB like XQuery does. I believe there is an effort
underway to support native XSL, but I haven't heard much since the initial
proposal.

well strictly speaking you don't have serialize the result to a source, but it does happen behind the scenes... (I know you know that, just making it clearer)

For the app I'm currently working on, I use very simple small xqueries
which are there purely to provide input to the transforms, just
because I'm forced to.  Once XSLT can work directly directly against
the database, XQuery's days could be numbered.