[xsl] Grouping & use of keys

Subject: [xsl] Grouping & use of keys
From: "Dick Penny" <d_penny@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:21:36 -0800
I am a newbie at XSLT, have only written 1 identity transform that took me 2
weeks to get working. I have a grouping task for some xml data and plan to
follow either post 49748 by: Martin Honnen
or 49749 by: G. Ken Holman in the 2/24/09 Forum Digest even though I only
have
a single group and do not want any item output, just summaries for each
group.

I have been scanning/reading the books by Jen Tennison and Mangamo but I
guess
I don't understand the use of
<xsl:key name=.........> by Honnen and the
lack of <xsl:key....> by Holman.

I think of <xsl:key......> as a declaration, similar to "new" in some OO
languages. It is either mandatory or not needed.  How can Holman's work with
such a declaration?

Thanks.

Dick Penny
d_penny@xxxxxxx