[xsl] Replacing values in the input file with values from a second file

Subject: [xsl] Replacing values in the input file with values from a second file
From: Mark Peters <flickrmeister@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:14:35 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I have a seemingly simple transformation project, but there is a piece
of the puzzle that I'm missing. Maybe the solution isn't so simple,
after all. :-)

Here is my input file.

<topic id="A">
   <title>Menus</title>
   <topic id="AB">
      <title>Menu AB Details</title>
            <uicontrol conref="AB1a"/>
            <uicontrol conref="AB2a"/>
	    <uicontrol conref="AB2b"/>
    </topic>
</topic>

For each uicontrol element, I'd like to substitute the element value
in a second file, whose id attribute value corresponds to the conref
value in the first file.

Here is the second file (navigation-labels.xml):

<topic id ="navigation-labels">
   <title>Navigation Labels</title>
</topic>

Here is the output I'm trying to produce:

<topic id="A">
   <title>Menus</title>
   <topic id="AB">
      <title>Menu AB Details</title>
            <uicontrol>Oranges</uicontrol>
            <uicontrol>Apples</uicontrol>
	    <uicontrol>Bananas</uicontrol>
    </topic>
</topic>

I've tried if statements and choose statements. Here is my current
transformation.

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">
	<xsl:output method="xml"/>

	<xsl:template match="node()|@*">
		<xsl:copy>
			<xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
			<xsl:apply-templates/>
		</xsl:copy>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template match="uicontrol">
		<uicontrol>
			<xsl:value-of
select="document('navigation-labels.xml')/topic/body/p/uicontrol[document('navigation-labels.xml')/topic/body/p/uicontrol
= .]"/>
		</uicontrol>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

And here is the current output. For each uicontrol element, the
transformation is substituting the first uicontrol element value in
the navigation-labels.xml file, rather than the value from the
corresponding uicontrol element.

<topic id="A">
   <title>Menus</title>
   <topic id="AB">