[xsl] processing following-siblings to a point

Subject: [xsl] processing following-siblings to a point
From: charlieo0@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 18:59:02 +0000 (UTC)
Hello all,

I've run into a structure that I must transform that I just haven't found a solution for. XSL 1.0 only. (I just don't have the proficiency for 2.0 yet).

I'm transforming what was a rather flat SGML structure to an XML structure.  Here's the input structure:

<gen>
<title>TITLE_1</title>
<subtitle>SUBTITLE_1</subtitle>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<title>TITLE_2</title>
<subtitle>SUBTITLE_2</subtitle>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<title>TITLE_2</title>
<subtitle>SUBTITLE_2</subtitle>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
</gen>

Resulting structure tree:

<para0>
<title>TITLE_1</title>
<subpara1>
<title>SUBTITLE_1</title>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
</subpara1>
</para0>
<para0>
<title>TITLE_2</title>
<subpara1>
<title>SUBTITLE_2</title>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
</subpara1>
</para0>
<para0>
<title>TITLE_3</title>
<subpara1>
<title>SUBTITLE_3</title>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
<para>Text.</para>
</subpara1>
</para0>

My template (or at least the important part).

    <xsl:template match="gen/title" mode="move">

        <para0>
            <title>
                <xsl:value-of select="."/>
            </title>
            <subpara1>
                <title><xsl:value-of select="following-sibling::subtitle[1]"/></title>
                <xsl:apply-templates select="following-sibling::para"/>
            </subpara1>
        </para0>

My problem is with the <xsl:apply-templates select="following-sibling::para"/> line. Of course, all of the para elements are following siblings of all the gen/title elements. How can I express the <apply-templates> to process only the para element siblings BEFORE the next following title sibling. (This is difficult because EVERYTHING is a sibling of everything else).

Charles Flanders
IETM Developer