Re: [xsl] SGML Inclusions and infinitive recursion (in XSLT)

Subject: Re: [xsl] SGML Inclusions and infinitive recursion (in XSLT)
From: Don Smith <dsmith_lockesmith@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 16:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Tommy.

Of course, any message from a founding member of the XSLT mail
list that concludes with "GOOD LUCK" is scant encouragement indeed! :-)

And I
agree. I'm so happy XML got rid of inclusions. I just wish my current customer
had already moved on. . .

Don

--- On Mon, 10/5/09, B Tommie Usdin

<btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [xsl] SGML Inclusions and infinitive
recursion (in XSLT)
> To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Monday,
October 5, 2009, 6:25 PM
> At 3:50 PM -0700 10/5/09, Don Smith
> wrote:

What I want to do is produce, for every element, not
> only what it's declared
content model is (in DTDParse's
> output file, the content of
<content-model-expanded>),
> but also of any inclusions that apply to the
element. And
> that's where the problem is.
> >
> > If I recall SGML
inclusions correctly, an inclusion
> declared on an element applies to all
child elements all the
> way to the bottom of the relevant part of the
document
> tree.
>
> 1. An inclusion declared on an element applies to all
child
> elements all the way to the bottom of the relevant part of
> the
document tree UNLESS there is an exclusion at a lower
> level that over-rides
the inclusion.

> 2. In models with inclusions and/or exclusions and
elements
> that appear in more than one context (in other words, most
> real
document models), it is not possible to specify what
> elements are allowed in
another element; the answer is
> context-dependent. Imagine, for example, a
document model
> with <footnote> included at the top level, and
> excluded on
<footnote>. If <footnote> contains
> <paragraph>s and <paragraph>s are also
allowed
> in other contexts, then some <paragraph>s are allowed
> to contain
<footnote>s (those not in
> <footnote>s) and other <paragraph>s are not

allowed to contain <footnote>s (those that are in
> <footnote>s. This is a
very common situation in SGML
> models for prose documents.
>
> Unless you
are working with SGML that has inclusions but
> not exclusions (which is
possible, I suppose), you will not
> be able to produce such a list unless it
lists each element
> in each context. And sometimes the contexts may be many

levels nested. (If <paragraph> can contain
> <list> which can contain <item>
then, using the
> example above, <item> may contain <footnote>
> unless the
<item> is inside a <footnote>, such
> as if it is in a <paragraph> that is in
> <footnote>.
>
> I started to write "I hope that helps", but I know that
it
> doesn't.
>
> Thank you for reminding me of one of the best things about
> the XML specification. And GOOD LUCK!
>
> -- Tommie
>
> --

> B.
Tommie Usdin
>             mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
>         http://www.mulberrytech.com
> 17
West Jefferson Street

>    Phone: 301/315-9631

Suite 207

>       Direct Line: 301/315-9634

Rockville, MD  20850

>        Fax: 301/315-8285

Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in