Re: [xsl] Write context xpath expression

Subject: Re: [xsl] Write context xpath expression
From: Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:37:11 -0400
I have successfully used something like the following:
---------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:apply-templates select=".//c"/>
  </xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="c">
    <xsl:message>
      <xsl:for-each select="ancestor-or-self::*">
        <xsl:value-of select="concat( '/', local-name(.) )"/>
      </xsl:for-each>
      <xsl:text>[</xsl:text>
      <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>
      <xsl:text>]</xsl:text>
    </xsl:message>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
---------
Of course this drops the namespace information. (Which could be
important in your situation, but didn't matter in mine where there
were no name collisions in the documents). Also, I think this may
give you undesired counts in the square brackets if you use a
predicate to select only some of the <c> elements. But if you only
want the path, that for-each should do the job, I think.

Note that this sort of question is often easily answered on Dave
Pawson's FAQ pages. See
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N6052.html#d9122e58.