Re: [xsl] fo basic link question

Subject: Re: [xsl] fo basic link question
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:09:04 -0500
At 2009-11-10 19:56 -0800, Mark Wilson wrote:
I think I just figured it out:

<fo:basic-link  color="blue">
        <xsl:attribute name="external-destination">
         <xsl:text>uri(&quot;</xsl:text>
         <xsl:value-of select="Heading/@file"/>
          <xsl:text>&quot;)</xsl:text>
           </xsl:attribute>
           <xsl:value-of select="Heading"/>
 </fo:basic-link>

Yes, that is certainly suitable, but check out my earlier post showing how to do this with an attribute value template.

I see above you have included the quote, and that is good as I explained. Note that since you are in #PCDATA in your stylesheet, you don't need to escape it, and the following would have worked just as well (and not needing you to change what you have):

 <fo:basic-link  color="blue">
  <xsl:attribute name="external-destination">
   <xsl:text/>uri("<xsl:value-of select="Heading/@file"/>")<xsl:text/>
  </xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:value-of select="Heading"/>
 </fo:basic-link>

I think this works because uri("...") is not actually a function.

It certainly isn't at XSLT time. It is a syntactic convention at XSL-FO time ... I don't think anything is actually "called" though. As you don't have it in a select= and you don't have it in an attribute value template "{}", it is just text with parentheses in it from XSLT's perspective.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming:  hands-on XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO Washington DC Nov 2009
Interested in other classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/i/