RE: [xsl] extension functions returning temporary trees

Subject: RE: [xsl] extension functions returning temporary trees
From: Brian Newman <brian.newman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:15:55 -0500
	Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:10:34 -0000
	To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

	The way extension functions work is entirely a matter for the processor, but
I would be rather surprised if the call mechanism allowed you to 	return a
string containing lexical XML, and implicitly parsed that XML and turned it
into a tree of nodes. That conversion needs to be done e	explicitly by calling
an XML parser, either from the C# before returning from the extension, or from
the XSLT code after returning.

	Regards,

	Michael Kay
	http://www.saxonica.com/
	http://twitter.com/michaelhkay

Turns out that it's a known bug in the Altova engine with a pre-existing
trouble ticket.
"29642 - extension function support for result tree fragments and node sets"
Extension functions can't return node-sets/temporary trees
I guess I can stop banging me head against the wall - the wall will certainly
appreciate it.