Re: [xsl] Creating a html <select> dropdown menu in XSL, where the attribute of an XML element is the selected value when page loads

Subject: Re: [xsl] Creating a html <select> dropdown menu in XSL, where the attribute of an XML element is the selected value when page loads
From: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:45:26 -0700
Martin Jackson wrote:

> 2. Another question is that I also want to make a menu for selecting a
> month. I want to use the names of the months, not the numbers. How can
> I, with XSL, produce something equivalent to an array filled with the
> names of the months?

I had this same problem; as I'm restricted to XSLT 1, I had to think
outside the box.  I wrote a simple Web service which takes an ISO 8601
date and returns an XML snippet containing the format I desire, say
"Monday, January 4th, 2010".  My XSLT code builds an URL like
http://example.org/date?iso=2010-01-04 to call using document(), to
replace 2010-01-04 with human-readable text.  Caching is enabled.  HTH.

-Eric