RE: [xsl] Word -> XSL

Subject: RE: [xsl] Word -> XSL
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 09:39:53 -0500
At 2010-01-05 09:11 -0500, Schultz, Len wrote:
I reached the same conclusion about using FO: it would be so much work that it would not be worth it,
I don't know FO well, and don't know what it can and can't do relative to WordML.

Then perhaps you've arrived at the incorrect conclusion.

unless there was a tool that could translate.

Translate what? Automatic translation from WordML to an XSLT stylesheet running XSL-FO? Good luck! WordML is a serialization of a proprietary word processor infernal (internal) format. XSL-FO is pagination language for methodical rule-based layout.

I wanted to double check with the experts first.

I don't think you've given enough detail. I've produced some very high quality layouts for customers by using XSL-FO very successfully.

Michael, you are right that almost no "amateur" users use the high level structuring features: e.g. all spacing and pagination is done with carriage returns. This will be one of the steps needed before the transform is to apply consistent styles and structure to the template before transformation.

And you both bring up a good point on the other approach: that a simplified design kit with limited customization options might work better for most restaurants. Most restaurants might get a better product that way: a professionally designed and structured layout with consistency.

Sounds like a job for XSL-FO to me.

This brings up another question I have. I don't know FO well, and don't know what it can and can't do relative to WordML. E.g. in WordML, I can specify a book fold: where the flow is presented on a 2 column landscape layout that can be folded in the middle to create a book.

In XSL-FO 1.1 I can set up two flow regions on a page with appropriate margins such that folding the page in half creates a book-fold.

I can set this up with one parameter in WordML.

One parameter? I doubt that ... what about margins and separation? In XSL-FO all you have to specify are the margins, separation, regions and the flow map. It is all very straightforward *when* you know what the processor can do.

What are FO's limitations relative to a powerful word processor or page layout program?

Comparable ... the only nuance is that formatting in XSL-FO is turnkey in that you set up the rules and the contingencies, and the process runs to produce the output. There is no back-and-forth negotiation of things like dynamically-variable font sizes.

So certainly there are places where XSL-FO cannot be used when the rules cannot be expressed statically.

Also, does anyone have experience with commercial servers, such as Quark Server, In Design Server, PageFlex, etc? If so, what do these bring to the table that FO and WordML can't do?

I hope Dorothy Hoskins is reading this because I've seen her at conferences present her work with InDesign and XML where such back-and-forth interaction between layout and data is necessary that cannot be achieved with something like XSL-FO.

But from the limited descriptions of your needs that I've read, you don't have such back-and-forth copy-fitting requirements ... simply layout requirements.

I hope this helps.

--
UBL and Code List training:      Copenhagen, Denmark 2010-02-08/10
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19