Re: [xsl] XSL wish list - page column gap/separator line

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL wish list - page column gap/separator line
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:15:05 -0500
On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 14:52 -0600, John Cavalieri wrote:
> Thanks Tony.  I submitted an enhancement to the XSLFO bugzilla (8962).
>
> And FYI, I suggested that we share the names from CSS3 multi-column
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/).
>
> # 4. Column gaps and rules
>     * 4.1. bcolumn-gapb
>     * 4.2. bcolumn-rule-colorb
>     * 4.3. bcolumn-rule-styleb
>     * 4.4. bcolumn-rule-widthb
>     * 4.5. bcolumn-ruleb

Yes, I've been following that work.  It doesn't meet all of the
requirements we have for XSL-FO 2.0, so it's likely we'll be a
little different: for example, we want to support different styles
for individual columns, e.g. background-colour.

The new XSL-FO work on columns wasn't ready for this round of
publication -- mostly because I stopped in the middle of
writing it to take the CSS working draft on columns into account,
in fact -- but if we get consensus on a design, it
might be in the next round of publication.

It's also conceivable that CSS will adopt our changes, but we
haven't discussed that either yet.

Liam (as chair of the XSL-FO task force/subgroup)