Re: [xsl] The output of evaluating an XSLT transform is the same regardless of the order in which output elements are evaluated. Right?

Subject: Re: [xsl] The output of evaluating an XSLT transform is the same regardless of the order in which output elements are evaluated. Right?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:01:56 -0700
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Not necessarily true. The evaluation of
>>
>> f(g(x))
>>
>> requires that g(x) be evaluated, before f() B can be evaluated.
>>

> a) The obvious reaction: This a trivial statement.

Trivial??? Not quite so, if there is this whole discussion going on :)

> b) Second thought: Not necessarily. There are functions f(x), where
> you don't have to evaluate x.

There may be such functions, but these are not *all* functions.

> c) And even if the final outcome of f(g(x)) does depend on f's
> argument, an "evaluation" of f(.) might take place even before g(x) is
> evaluated, possibly delaying this to some later moment.

OK. let me correct my original statement from:

>> f(g(x))
>>
>> requires that g(x) be evaluated, before f()  can be evaluated.

to:

 f(g(x))

 requires that g(x) be evaluated, before f()  can be *completely* evaluated.

> I think the important point is that functional describes the result
> but does not prescibe how to produce it.

Another important point is that in many cases evaluation cannot be
*completely*  "independent" or "parallel". Thinking of it this way is
simply wrong.

Cheers,
Dimitre

--