Re: [xsl] Could not select the text() of both parent & child nodes simultaneously

Subject: Re: [xsl] Could not select the text() of both parent & child nodes simultaneously
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:43:34 +0100
My understanding on recent installation manual was the open source version (saxonhe9-2-0-5j.zip - Saxon9 Home Edition?
) does not support XPath/XSLT features. This download does not have Path/XSLT jars such as saxon9-xpath.jar, saxon9-jdom.jar supplied in Saxon 9.1. Otherwise, please provide the correct link to download Saxon9 Home Edition.

saxon9-xpath.jar was a JAR file supplied in Saxon 9.1 and earlier releases, which has been incorporated into the main JAR file from Saxon 9.2. The reason it was originally separate was to avoid dependencies on JDK 1.5, but since Saxon 9.2, the whole product depends on JDK 1.5 so there was no longer a need to separate them.

saxon9-jdom.jar is the JDOM interface for Saxon; the packaging strategy changed in 9.2 and in the home edition these "glue" modules are available only in the form of source code.

How to turn off type checking in XSLT 2.0 by updating<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" (line 2) to prevent the following exception from occurring:
Error on line 83
XPTY0004: Cannot compare java-type:definition.Sport to xs:string

You can probably achieve the required effect by converting the java-type:definition.Sport object to a string using the string() function. However, as I said before, it's worth looking to see whether you really need to use Java objects in this way. I don't think your use of Java extensions was apparent in the code that you showed us, so we can't tell whether it makes sense or not. As with other integration features like the JDOM interface, some of the Java extensibility mechanisms that were present in Saxon-B 9.1 and earlier releases are now available only in the Professional Edition.

These questions are about Saxon rather than about XSLT, so it might be better to move the discussion to the saxon-help list which you can find via the project page on SourceForge.

Michael Kay
Saxonica