[xsl] Testing for value of a preceding "cousin"

Subject: [xsl] Testing for value of a preceding "cousin"
From: Charles Muller <cmuller-lst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:55:38 +0900
When applying styles to the <date> element within in a TEI <biblStruct> ancestor, such as the following

I have, for several years, been using the following simple XSLT,

<xsl:template match="date">
<xsl:if test="(parent::p)">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:if>
<xsl:apply-templates/>.
</xsl:template>

Thus, in the case of the above, the output would simply be the date, followed by a period.

In the present manuscript that I am working on, the publisher asks that journal dates be placed in parentheses.

Thus, for example, in the following entry

<xsl:template match="date">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="(parent::p)">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="//monogr/title[level='j']">
(<xsl:apply-templates/>)
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:apply-templates/>.
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

But so far no luck. I was going to try the route of creating a variable when level="j" exists, but I thought that I should ask here to see if there is a way of doing it with standard axes methods.

Chuck

-------------------

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 HongE
, BunkyE
-ku