Re: [xsl] Processing mutiple files in multiple directories individually

Subject: Re: [xsl] Processing mutiple files in multiple directories individually
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:22:56 +0000
On 18 March 2011 00:00, Mark <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am using XSLT 2.0.
>
> I have several hundred XML data files stored in a number of directories each
> with subdirectories of their own that descend to various levels. From them,
> I need to locate 137 specific files and make editing changes to each. I
> believe I can write the template that can determine if a specific XML file
> requires editing or not, and if so to then apply the editing change.
>
> What I do not know how to do is:
>
> (1) search through all the directories and subdirectories and open each XML
> file one at a time,
>
> (2) if the file does not require editing, drop it and move on to the next
> file; or
>
> (3) if the file requires editing, make the editing change and write the file
> out to its original location.

As Danny has said, have a look at Kernow's 'directory transform',
which will apply a stylesheet to all files in a directory structure
(for a given extension) and then recreate that structure at the output
path.

For #2 above, for each file that doesn't require editing, you will
need to just copy the entire input to the output (identity transform).

For #3, with xslt you can't modify a file in place, you will need to
transform the files to a new location, then copy them over to the old
location when you are happy (either manually or some other process).
This is a good thing for tasks like this, as you dont want to blow
away your input until you're completely happy with the output.

http://kernowforsaxon.sf.net/

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com