[xsl] Do you have a rock-solid function for fetching an XML document?

Subject: [xsl] Do you have a rock-solid function for fetching an XML document?
From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 12:19:49 -0400
Hi Folks,

I need a function that fetches an XML document. The function takes two
parameters:

1. The href (URL) to the desired XML document.

2. The document (root element) from which the href came from.

I need the function to be able to work no matter whether the href

- references a file in the current folder, e.g., foo.xml

- references a file in another folder, using a relative path, e.g.,
../../../tmp/foo.xml

- references a file in another folder, using an absolute path, e.g.,
c:/tmp/foo.xml

- references a file on the network, e.g., http://www.example.org/foo.xml

Do you have code for this function:

    <xsl:function name="f:get-file" as="element()?">
        <xsl:param name="href" as="xs:anyURI" />
        <xsl:param name="document"  as="element()"/>

        ?????

    </xsl:function>

/Roger