Re: [xsl] Substituting a template for value-of

Subject: Re: [xsl] Substituting a template for value-of
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:32:07 +0100
On 26 October 2011 07:28, Vasu Chakkera <vasucv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You will have to really know when the value-of can be used instead of
> the xsl:apply-templates. This can not be done at all times.

Yeah it's just a general good practice thing... in summary:

- if you are adding a text node to the result tree by selecting
something from the input, use apply-templates

- if you are adding a text node to the result by constructing a
string, say using concat() or formate-date() etc, then xsl:value-of is
fine... (however I think in 3.0 we will be able to apply-templates to
atomics, so new techniques might arise from that)

- if you are constructing a string in a function or say in the body of
a variable, where the sequence type is an atomic, you should use
xsl:sequence and not xsl:value-of.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com