Re: [xsl] A regular expression for the content of any processing-instruction

Subject: Re: [xsl] A regular expression for the content of any processing-instruction
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:04:16 -0500
Hi,

On 2/23/2012 9:04 AM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
Is it common practice to structure the content of PIs as
attribute/value pairs?

For example:

<?realaudio version="5.0" frequency="5.5kHz" bitrate="16Kbps"?>

It is not uncommon, but that doesn't make it good. (Or bad.)

Is it reasonable to issue a policy to a community that the content of
all PIs must be structured as attribute/value pairs?

In general, I don't know how anyone would benefit from such a policy. The whole point of PIs is that they address out of band processes, whose interfaces are arbitrary and unspecified by definition. So this isn't really much different from saying no PIs at all, since you can't know ahead of time which ones you're excluding.

Is that reasonable in your particular case? I suppose anything is possible.

Cheers,
Wendell