Re: [xsl] Why are there no XSLT processors implemented in XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Why are there no XSLT processors implemented in XSLT?
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 15:24:04 +0100 (IST)
On Tue, May 1, 2012 1:04 pm, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 12:49, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>> I will take the following as an axiom:
>>
>>        Programs written to process XML should be implemented in XSLT.
> The entire argument appears spurious, so it seems fruitless to try to
> argue specific points.
>
> Why would anyone even try to do this, even if it were possible, it would

To "[s]ee examples of what XSLT should never have been made to do." [1],
apparently.

How quickly we forget: [2].

> be vast amounts of work and would just produce an xslt engine that is
> slower than the one you started with.

>From [3]:

   Naxos is very slow and memory-hungry. Stylesheets larger than
   toy-sized will probably fail to run even if you specify a large
   heap for the JVM with -Xmx.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming

[1] http://osdcpapers.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.84/prod.40
[2]
http://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.mulberrytech.com/xsl-list/archives/200701/msg00553.html
[3] http://futzle.com/users/debbiep/naxos/naxos.html