Re: [xsl] XSLT/CSS border style - setting length of dashes

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT/CSS border style - setting length of dashes
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 19:49:01 -0400
At 2012-07-21 09:08 +1000, Xmplar wrote:
How does one control the specifications for the various border styles for tables, etc. I know how to select the line styles - solid, dashed, double, groove, etc and the line widths - but can finer control for each of these be defined?

Only if provided by the vendor.

I want to modify the length of dashes and the spacing between dashes for the 'dashed' style.

Such a length is at the choice of the vendor. If they wish to offer to users control over such nuanced properties, they could do so by offering extensions for users to specify what they wish.

I can't find anything in the W3C XSLT specification, apart from the fact that you specify those names for border style and that CSS properties apply.

Quite the opposite from what you want: both HTML and XSL-FO specifications are loose enough even to allow a conforming implementation to interpret 'dotted', 'dashed', 'double', 'groove', 'ridge', 'inset', and 'outset' to be 'solid'. So all the effort you go to for one implementation might be totally ignored, even to the aspect simply of being dashed, by another conforming engine.

I'd like to know if this is possible for FO and HTML output.

Not per the specification, only through vendor-defined extensions.

I'm using DocBook 5 with XEP

Then ask the RenderX folks if they offer such control.

and Saxon 6.5.5.

That is irrelevant and you would be safe using it as you wish.

I hope this helps.

-- Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012 Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal