Re: Fwd: [xsl] curly braces

Subject: Re: Fwd: [xsl] curly braces
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:15:20 +0100
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You need to explain how these measurements were taken: was the stylesheet
> compiled inside the loop or outside it? Was the same Transformer used
> repeatedly, or a new one created each time? There are scenarios where
> building an index on the stylesheet document would be better because the
> same index is reused repeatedly, whereas with a temporary tree a new index
> will be built each time. If you have a large lookup document then I would
> recommend making it a separate free-standing document, and building it
> outside the transformation (not using doc(), supplying it as a stylesheet
> parameter); if you then use the same compiled stylesheet repeatedly, both
> the lookup document and its index will be reused for each transformation. If
> you're only using the stylesheet once, however, putting the data inline in a
> global variable will be a little faster.

Putting the look-up in a free standing document is not an option, due
to the restrictions in the target platform.

I'm happy with either as they have performed and would opt for the
non-doc version due to it's lower variance. I posted the benchmark
data (Kernow performance testing mode) because I collected it for
other reasons.