Re: [xsl] How many passes through the document

Subject: Re: [xsl] How many passes through the document
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 12:56:31 +0200
Ihe Onwuka wrote:
Will the stylesheet below result in 2 passes through the document. I
the normal recursive descent parsing and 2 to evaluate the global
variable?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
                 version="2.0"
                 exclude-result-prefixes="xs">

    <!-- I type is irrelevant for this example -->
    <xsl:variable name="all">
       <xsl:apply-templates select="*"/>
    </xsl:variable>

    <xsl:template match="/">
       <xsl:value-of select="sum(key('counts',max($all))/count(@*))"/>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="*">
       stuff
    </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="text()"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>

I would expect an error that no key named "counts" is defined.
Ignoring that I think that evaluating the variable will not result in a pass through the complete document as all it does is applying templates to the single root element and the only template for elements simply outputs a text node with "stuff" so no further processing happens there.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP Data Platform Development
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/