Re: [xsl] How many passes through the document

Subject: Re: [xsl] How many passes through the document
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 00:44:01 -0400
On Sun, 2012-09-23 at 01:03 +0100, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
> Of course if I had written it like this with the variable local
> instead of global I wouldn't be asking the question.
>
> So I guess the question is whether the global version entails an extra
> pass over the data or any other performance penalty.

Measure it and see. With declarative / non-procedural languages,
performance is often more about the implementation and what it optimizes
than anything else. For example, some XSLT implementations build a table
of elements in the document as the document is loaded, and others don't.

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, Summer 2012